Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Writing Territories

1. I like to read novels of all genres except for fantasy or science fiction. The only exception would be Harry Potter. My favorite is realistic fiction. Right now I am reading My Sister's Keeper and I absolutely love it! As for writing I find it hard to do outside of school but I think its really fun. Last summer, I wrote part of what was going to be a novel, but after a while I just got tired of it because I had thought of the whole story and didn't want to write it all out. I keep a journal that I write in once a week on average. Normally I just write about the highlights of the week.



2. It was regatta week. The best week of my summers at Camp Lake Hubert. Finally this year I got to skipper instead of crew. The girls camp would be racing five boats against Lincoln's, the boys camp's, five boats. "Annie Schoenwetter! You'll be sailing a C... Dock Holiday. Crew members will be Jane, Allie, and Kippy."

I couldn't believe it. A C-class boat! I always sailed them during free sailing but never in a regatta. Jane, Allie, and Kippy were good friends of mine who I had known forever but I only saw at camp. Right then and there I decided that it was our year to dominate and beat the boys, not to mention all of the other girls, most of who were my friends.

Regatta day came soon enough and after five days of training, we were ready. We raised our main sail and then the jib, letting the boom swing across the boat in the violent winds. The calm lake soon turned into whitecaps and the sky became dark. "Rolf!" I yelled. "Is the regatta stil on?"

"Yeah! Get on out there!" Splash! I turned around and saw Kippy had landed in the lake. She asked if we'd be okay with one less crew and I said yes. Truth be told, I wasn't so confident that we'd have enough weight to hold down the boat in the rough winds. But nontheless we headed out and joined the prestart flow and before I knew it we were off with a great start.

There was one boat in front of us, it was the final leg of the course. Challenge, with a crew full of boys, cut effortlessly through the waves, whereas we could have definitly used another person. We were slowly gaining on them and as we reached the final buoy, the leeward mark, I made a risky move and cut them off. We stole their wind and pulled out of the turn before them, flying towards the finish line.

We crossed the line and the whistle blew, declaring us the winners!! Allie was so excited that she stood up. Bad move. We ended up tipping and then turtling right after we had crossed the finish line. Surprisingly, this only made the victory even better.

No comments: