Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Stories :)

Stories are important in childhood because they allow children's imaginations to grow. Kids are able to learn form the morals of stories and better themselves. Having stories read to you as a child makes everyday a little more fun. Kids also learn howto readby having stories read to them.

When people get older, they still read stories but to themselves instead. People read stories for entertainment purposes and to broaden their horizons or deepen their thinking. Older readers can also learn fromthe morals or just escape from reality to the worlds of fiction for awhile (not that little kids don't do this too).

Stories are important in our nation because almost everyone is literate whereas other countries sometimes have extremely low literacy rates. America also has the right of free speech, so you can publish anything that you want to. Publishing your ideas and thoughts is a powerful tool of persuasion in America. Stories help a writer get a point across to their audience, the readers. America also has a lot of respect for authors and scholars.

When I was little I read the Berenstein Bears, the Little House on the Prairie books, and many others. I read these with my mom and when I was old enought to read them, I read them to my brother, even if he didn't want to hear them. My favorite of all time was Amelia Bedelia. She always did everything wrong and every single time, even though I knew what was going to happen, I found it hilarious.

Good Story Characteristics
1. Universal theme that can apply to all generations
2. Characters a person can relate to and feel like they know
3. A well-developed conflict
4. A hero who the reader can side with
5. Cliffhangers and foreshadowing
6. Details and imagery
7. It makes the reader think about life in depth or is funny

1 comment:

Kara M said...

THOSE WERE ALL OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS AS A KID!!!!!! bearnstine bears were amazing- they lived in that super fun treehouse!!!