Tuesday, February 12, 2008

February twelth responses

1. I think that a theme is important and that great literature often has one. A theme isn't always necessary, but I think it makes a story more interesting and better in general. We just read Much Ado about Nothing in english class and it's theme is the disasters that eavesdropping and rumors can cause. There can be more than one theme present in a novel and it doesn't always have to have a deep meaning. Some would say that great literature doesn't have to have a theme but I think that a theme is a large part of what makes the story great. There may be some exceptions, but I am having a lot of trouble thinking of examples.

2. I'm really not sure what I want to write about yet but I could write about how nothing is as perfect as it appears to be. I think that a lot of people fail to keep an open mind and judge based on first impressions. This would definitly be considered a social issue. Often people have problems changing the first impressions they get of someone too. I often get angry at myself for not keeping an open mind. In eighth grade I met a girl who I thought was a huge hippie because of the way she dressed and looked. Because of that impression I was a little freaked out and I didn't think that we could be friends, but now she is one of my best friends. ;)

3. A possible conflict for my play could be a girl has to go live with her aunt and uncle for a summer who she doesn't know. They could live in a rural farm town and the girl could be from a very nice urban area. She may be stuck up at first but she could begin to meet people and she could become more open-minded to different types of people. To make the plot more interesting her family could be going through divorce and bankruptcy and skeletons could come out of the closet (that could be why her parents send her away!) and she will realize that nothing is as perfect as it looks from the outside.

2 comments:

Kara M said...

annie! you have some really interesting ideas! i think your play about the girl having to go with her aunt and uncle coud be really interesting. maybe you were inspired from magnets and mcnuggest?

j.Irv said...

I think your conflict and theme are very relevant to what goes on today. Both your conflict and theme are two things i think about when i think of Edina. Some Edina students dress preppy and they are judged based on the way they dress. When people dress that way other students expect the person to be snoty and mean and selfcentered while this may be true for some people it is definetly not true about all. Contrarly, upperclass people judge those of the lower class like in your story.